Today we’re starting another feature here at BBH. It’s a section called “Origins Of Top Businesses.”
It will feature interesting facts about the early years of well-known businesses.
These facts are given to you for fun and inspiration.
Fun because how many top businesses started out is really surprising.
Inspiring because it will help you as a business owner see that if they can do it, so can you.
Now for the first story….
- In 1960, Tom Monaghan and his brother, James, purchase “DomiNick’s,” a pizza store in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
- Monaghan borrowed $500 to buy the store.
- James Monaghan trades his half of the business to Tom for a Volkswagen Beetle.
- When Tom Monaghan became the sole owner of company he then renamed it “Domino’s Pizza, Inc.”
- In 1967, the first Domino’s Pizza franchise store opens in Ypsilanti, Mich.
- About 10 years later the 200th store opened.
- 5 years later, there were 1,000 stores.
- In 2010, there were 9,000 store worldwide.