This section of our site is called “Origins Of Top Businesses.”
It features interesting facts about the early years of well-known businesses.
These facts are given to you for fun and inspiration.
Fun because how many top businesses started out is really surprising.
Inspiring because it will help you as a business owner see that if they can do it, so can you.
Now for today’s facts:
I was on a school field trip with my middle son and we visited an old general store that was around during the gold rush days in California.
It was stocked with all of the old tools and supplies that it would have had in the 1800’s. And guess what I saw on the shelf?
A can of Clabber Girl Baking Powder with the same label we have on our can back at home. That inspired me to look up the history of the company.
Here it is…
- Clabber Girl Corporation grew from the original business that was incorporated over 150 years ago.
- Hulman & Company began in Terre Haute, Indiana in early 1850.
- It was originally a wholesale grocery store,. Later the business expanded into manufacturing with the addition of a storeroom and spice mill behind the store in 1869.
- The company continued to expand and by 1879 was manufacturing a variety of products, including spices, coffees, and baking powder under many different brand names.
- The Clabber Girl name brand comes from the word “clabber”, which means clabbered milk (sour milk).
- In the early 1800s, people mixed clabber with pearl ash, soda, cream of tartar, and a few other ingredients to make what we know today as baking powder.
- In 1923, the company changed the name to “Clabber Girl“.
- Origin Of Top Businesses: Orkin Pest Control And A Man Named Otto (baybusinesshelp.com)