This section of our site is called “Origins Of Top Businesses”.
It features interesting facts about the early years of well-known businesses.
These facts are given to you for fun and inspiration.
Fun because how many top businesses started out is really surprising.
Inspiring because it will help you as a business owner see that if they can do it, so can you.
Now for today’s facts:
- Twinkies were invented in River Forest, Illinois on April 6, 1930.
- James Dewar invented Twinkies while he was working as a Hostess baking manager at their Chicago plant.
- He was looking to make better use of shortcake pans that were just sitting around and not being used whenever the short strawberry season was over.
- Dewar came up with an idea. He decided to inject the little golden cakes with a smooth creme filling.
- He first used banana filling. Later he used vanilla filling because of a banana shortage during World War II.
- Where did the name come from? Dewar said he came up with the name when he saw a billboard in St. Louis for “Twinkle Toe Shoes”.
- Twinkies were formerly made and distributed by Hostess Brands. On May 4, 2012 Hostess filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
- It is currently owned by private equity firms Apollo Global Management and Metropoulos & Co.
- Twinkie production in the United States has now resumed. They were first available at Wal-Mart on July 12, 2013 and are are now available nationwide since July 15, 2013.
- Origins Of Top Businesses: Why Procter & Gamble Was Started By Two Brother-in-laws (baybusinesshelp.com)